Tuesday, August 21, 2007

ONE MAN ON EARTH: INTERNATIONAL EDITION

Before moving to Bangkok, I was lucky enough to travel to other parts of the world and loved just about every minute of it. Check it out:

CANADA

I've been to Canada too many times to count, mainly to Windsor which is just a border crossing away from Detroit (it's also the only Canadian city south of the US. Don't believe me? Then look at a map!)

Windsor is an OK town, but the main reason to go there for a young Detroiter is that when you reach the age of 19, you can go over there and do things you still have to wait two whole years to do back home. So most of my time in Windsor was spent between the ages of 19 and 21 (that seems like a lifetime ago, let me tell you).

I've been to Toronto a few times and it's really a great international city and always a fun time.

A few years ago, we went to Niagra Falls, which is a worthwhile trip if you like amazing natural wonders of the world combined with schlocky tourist attractions. I personally like that kind of stuff so it worked for me.

Despite the fact that I lived so close to Canada for nearly my entire life, I haven't been to other parts of the country. From what I hear, a trip to Montreal is really something and I recently spent a few hours in the Vancouver airport waiting for a connecting flight. If the rest of the city is as nice as the terminal, I want to go there too!

JAPAN

My first trip overseas (1993) was also my first trip to a really big city (it preceded my visits to New York , Los Angeles , etc.) so for me it was really a life-changing experience.

After Tokyo, I really understood that there's a whole world out there just waiting to be discovered. I thought the city was exciting, vibrant and a bit crazy. The people there were very nice and I really want to go back some day.

POLANDMy wife grew up just outside of Warsaw, so I've been there several times over the years to visit her family.

To me, Warsaw is kind of like the Detroit of Europe: there are good times to be had, if you know where to find them. Sure, Warsaw may not be the first place you consider when planning a trip to Europe, but in my opinion it warrants consideration. It's a tragedy that the entire city was destroyed during World War II.

The place you really want to go to in Poland is Krakow, the old capital. Unlike Warsaw, it survived the War and it's a charming place for that reason. If you've never been to Europe, you probably have some sort of preconceived idea about what it's like. In my opinion, Krakow fits into that ideal.

I've also been to other cities in Poland like Zakopone and Gdansk.

FRANCE

My trip to Paris in 1995 was probably my favorite trip ever. I love art and culture and Paris does not disappoint in those areas. The Louvre, the Musee D'Orsey, the Eiffel Tower, etc: these are all places people should experience at least once in their lives.

CZECH REPUBLIC

This capital city is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. A charming place, it's home to some great historical sites and classic Art Nouveau architecture. If you're in Europe and have the time, check out Prague and thank me later.

MEXICO

My first and only trip to Mexico found me on the island of Cozumel. It was fun if you like the water (I discovered snorkeling there and think it would be an excellent place to scuba dive).

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

This was one of our "sitting on the beach at a resort" type of vacations. It's not my favorite idea for a holiday, but I can think of worse ways to spend a week.

NEW ZEALAND

Our trip to Auckland in 2001 was a great time. The city itself quite is nice and kind of reminded me of Toronto (or similar places). From there, we rented a car and explored the rest of the island and discovered a lot of amazing things like hot springs, Maori villages and amazing views. This was one of my favorite excursions, not only because it was a great time, but also since it was the last one my wife and I took by ourselves before our second child was born. I wonder when twe'll be able to do that again?

GREECE

In 2005, we decided to check out the Greek island of Crete. This trip was a good mix of hanging out by the water on one day and then exploring the island on the next. High points included the archaeological site Knossos (home of the ancient Minoan Empire) and the 18 km hike through the Samaria Gorge. I think my feet are still hurting from that one!

No comments: